Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Halloween Costume

As I was researching what to wear for my Elaine Benes Halloween costume, it appears I made a good decision.  From my personality, demeanor, intrapersonal relationships and physical attributes (of course, I did have to dye my hair a shade darker), 'I was born to play' Elaine.

Here's what I found:


Elaine does not hesitate voicing her strong positions on certain political issue.  Once, she engaged George's girlfriend in a heated argument regarding a fur coat. Although when presented a similar stand in other episodes, she also said "Who has the energy anymore?"  Jerry dubs Elaine "The Queen of Confrontation" and is the self-proclaimed "The Queen of the Castle."  She is an attractive single woman, gainfully employed, often angry about something.  Her love life seems to be a continual disappointment.  She has a compulsive need to be honest, which often gets her into trouble.  Her horrible dancing is described as "a full-body dry heave set to music" and uses the sponge as her form of birth control and will have sex only with a man who is "sponge-worthy."  Elaine was once refused a square of toilet paper by a woman in the next bathroom stall. She is offended to find that her co-worker uses a toilet seat protector even though she and Elaine are the only ones who use that particular toilet.  Elaine is intelligent and assertive, but superficial and short-tempered.  She often gets caught up in her boyfriends' machinations, her eccentric employers' arbitrary demands, and the unkindness of total strangers.  A recurring plot line for Elaine is her frustrating inability to find Mr. Right; she even tries to get a gay man to "change teams."  One of Elaine's trademark maneuvers is her forceful shove when she got good or shocking news, sometimes using the catch phrase "get out!" She is seen as the intellectual stronghold of the group of friends.  Elaine says her father has booze as a religion.


 



Elaine: Here's one. I borrowed Puddy's car and all the presets on his radio were Christian rock stations.
George Costanza: I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip.
Elaine: So you think Puddy actually believes in something?
Jerry: It's a used car, he probably never changed the presets.
Elaine: Yes, he is lazy.
Jerry: Plus, he probably doesn't know how to program the buttons.
Elaine: Yes, he is dumb.
Jerry: So you prefer dumb and lazy to religious?
Elaine: Dumb and lazy, I understand.




So, at one point in the night, a girl told me she thought my demeanor was exactly like Elaine's, not sure why, but I wasn't trying.  And after a few rounds of the full-body dry heave set to music, a guy, wanting to dance with me, asked me if I had any rhythm. I knew I had Elaine perfected.  Oh, and I kept shoving people all night telling them to "get out!!!"  I do like to give a good jab to arm when I've got something to say anyway, so that part was easy;).


What do you think, am I right?

1 comment:

  1. What did you wear to make it clear that you were Elaine?

    ReplyDelete